01/26/2012 (press release: GTucker) // London // British Military Fitness
More than two thirds of us started the New Year with the greatest of intentions and joined a gym; a New Year, a New You. Whilst it seemed like a great idea to start with, despite our best intentions new research has shown that by the end of January, over a third of us will have quietly called up and cancelled our sparkly new gym membership before we’ve even worked up a sweat. Stats show that it’s men letting the side down with 59% quitting their fitness regime in January versus 15% of women.
Research from British Military Fitness, the UK’s biggest provider of outdoor fitness classes has shown that many of us fall at the first hurdle when it comes to exercise. And it’s not surprising – an astounding three quarters of us feel we need motivating in order to exercise and that we don’t have enough ‘get up and go’ on our own. Shockingly a massive four in five of Brits who do make it as far as the treadmill will first consider giving up after a measly 20 minutes of exercise.
With fans including TV presenter Amanda Byram (Total Wipeout, Big Breakfast), British Military Fitness are considered by many to be the perfect remedy to those that feel alone and lack motivation when exercising. Amanda says; “I’m one of the thousands of people around the UK that finds it hard to keep motivated when it comes to exercise. Group training means that even when you’re feeling tired there is always a friendly face to keep you going!”
Jim Preece of British Military Fitness notes that the statistics around Brits lacking motivation when signing up to gyms don’t really surprise him. “The nature of a group workout combats the issue of lacking motivation as fellow members are on hand to give encouragement; plus our highly trained instructors ensure that once you are in the park, they’ll do the rest and help you achieve your goals”.
Images feature TV Presenter Amanda Byram taking part in a British Military Fitness class on Clapham Common
* More than two thirds of Brits (68%) made a New Year resolution to get fit
* Over a third (37%) of those that signed up for a gym membership will quit by the end of January
* Three quarters of people feel they need motivating in order to exercise
* Four in five of us want to give up after just 20 minutes of exercise
– Ends –
For more information, photography or to arrange a trial please contact Joel Zietcer at
Shine Communications on 020 7100 7100 or email [email protected]
Note to the editor
• British Military Fitness is the UK’s largest outdoor fitness class provider
• All British Military Fitness instructors are trained serving or ex-military. It is not a ‘boot camp’ style workout, there’s no intimidation factor to get people exercising. It’s all about creating a motivating environment and maximizing team spirit during group classes in the great outdoors
• Over 20,000 members exercise at 120 local parks throughout the UK
• Classes are designed for all fitness abilities, men and women, aged 16-70+
• www.britishmilitaryfitness.com or @BritMilFit
• Research carried out by OnePoll© January 2012